Frequently Asked Questions
When is the season?
Pre-season training starts in the last week of July. Games are played on weekends from October-February each season. Due to COVID-19 delaying the start of the Rugby and Aussie Rules seasons, our season may also be delayed since the playing grounds are in use. More information will be provided to our players as it becomes available.
When is training?
Pre-season training starts in the last week of July. Training is usually held two nights per week for each team. Due to COVID-19 delaying the Aussie Rules season, we are sharing use of our training grounds with the Noranda Hawks and may vary our schedule based on ground availability. Training dates and schedules will be released shortly.
How will COVID-19 affect training?
Phase 4 of the WA Roadmap came into effect on Saturday 27th June 2020. Under these guidelines, all sport and physical activity that involves close or physical contact with another person is allowed. This includes football! See the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries Community Sport and Active Recreation Phase 4 Factsheet and our Resources page for more information.
It is important to maintain sensible safety precautions including good hygiene, additional sanitation and physical distancing. At the Perth Broncos American Football Club here are some of the additional measures we are taking:
1. COVID-19 Safety Coordinators have been appointed to oversee and implement compliance with all federal, state and local legislation and guidelines. This includes completing and reviewing our COVID-19 Safety Plan and educating participants on their role and requirements as part of the plan.
2. Participants are asked to attend at their team’s designated training time only, and to leave the premises immediately following the session to minimise social contact.
3. Participants are reminded to maintain 1.5m separation whenever possible, especially at the beginning and end of each session.
4. Participants are asked not to attend, and may be asked to leave, if they feel unwell, have a fever or respiratory symptoms, have tested positive or come into contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the past 14 days, have travelled outside of the state in the past 14 days or have otherwise been advised to self-isolate.
5. Changerooms and indoor areas will be locked. A COVID-19 Safety Officer will be available during sessions to unlock these facilities for individuals on an as-need basis. Participants are encouraged to come prepared to train to minimise the use of the changerooms.
6. Club helmets and shoulder pads have been cleaned and disinfected, will be assigned to individuals for the season and are not to be shared. Team water bottles will not be used and participants are to use their own mouthguards, towels and drink bottles.
7. Cash payments will not be accepted. Payments can be made online or using tap and pay card facilities where applicable.
8. Additional cleaning and sanitation measures have been put in place.
9. COVID-19 guidelines and signage will be displayed.
10. These measures will be continually reviewed and updated as information, legislation and recommendations from the relevant authorities change.
Where is training and games?
Our home ground is Lightning Park – 30 Della Rd, Noranda WA. We have a club house with bar, canteen and changeroom facilities that we use in bad weather and for film study. Games are played all over Perth ranging from Rockingham to Joondalup and fixtures are on the Gridiron West website.
I have never played American Football before, is that okay?
Yes! Our coaches understand that American Football is a minority sport here in Australia and strive to teach everyone the game. From players that have never even seen the sport before, to a 10-year veteran, we encourage everyone to play.
Can I come and watch or try a practice session to see if I like it?
Of course! Contact us through this website or on our Facebook page to make sure there is someone ready to greet you, and bring along your football cleats (if you have some), mouthguard (not clear or white), a water bottle and positive attitude.
What do I need to bring to my first session?
All you will need to come along to your first practice is a pair of football cleats, mouth guard (not clear or white), a water bottle and a positive attitude. Before your first practice, contact us through this website or on our Facebook page to make sure there is someone ready to greet you.
How much does it cost?
The Perth Broncos have a number of different membership options, including non-player memberships, at varying costs. If you are only able to play part of the season due to FIFO work or other commitments, or you have been designated as a player/coach by the club, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain a discount code. If you are Under 19 and have a valid Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card, you may be eligible for KidSport financial assistance with your fees. Visit our online fees for more information.
Detailed instructions for how to apply for KidSport financial assistance is available on this website. If you have difficulty accessing the website or completing the membership registration, please ask your coach or board member for assistance.
What payment methods do you accept?
Fees are only accepted by online registration. We accept payment by Zip if you would like to pay in instalments. You can also pay fees by credit card or PayPal. If you have difficulty accessing the website or completing the membership registration, please ask your coach or board member for assistance. We have cash and EFTPOS facilities available for purchases at our canteen and bar.
How old do I need to be?
Our Under 19’s team accepts players from 14 years of age. Women’s and Men’s is open to all ages, you’re never too old to start something new!
Do I need to be fit?
American Football is the perfect sport for all body types. There is a place on the field for every fitness level, and any additional fitness requirements you can gain from during preseason practice.
What about equipment like helmets and shoulder pads?
The club offers loan equipment to all first-year players to help reduce the initial start up costs. We also offer our players discounted equipment available in our online shop. Our equipment manager will help you work out the right size and type of equipment for you, and answer your questions when you’re down at training.
Do you sign international players and coaches?
We love to have visitors from overseas that share our passion for American Football. Gridiron West is an amateur league, so participants can not be paid, receive gifts in kind, or sponsorships. What we can offer is help and information for you to plan your trip, including advice on where to stay, what to bring, things to do, and options for transport. Australia is known for its climate, attractions and love of sport, and we can offer you an amazing visitor experience.
What social events does the club offer?
At the Perth Broncos, we pride ourselves on the family and social aspects of our club. Throughout the season we offer an array of social events such as season kick-off, Christmas lunch, Thanksgiving dinner, Superbowl party and Awards night. See our events page for more information and to purchase tickets.
What if I have questions?
The Perth Broncos have a lot of information on this website, and in our Broncos Community Facebook Group. Questions about training and football should be directed to your coach in the Under 19’s team group, the Women’s team group or the Men’s Team Group. If you still can’t find the answer, send us a message using our contact form.